Sign up to our newsletter for all the latest pet related news both locally and Australia wide.
Google Maps location for West Queanbeyan Veterinary Hospital

West Queanbeyan Veterinary Hospital
158 Uriarra Road
NSW 2620

(02) 6297 5542
(02) 6299 3594


Flea Facts

  • The adult stage is only 10% of their entire lifecycle.
  • Adult fleas on our pets represent less than 5% of the total household flea population at any given time, the other 95% is made up of eggs/pupae and larvae. 
  • These other stages occur in the garden, bedding, carpet, and the couch!  This is why one off treatments like shampoos and rinses don’t work long term.
  • Fleas can lay between 30 and 50 eggs per day and in ideal conditions live up to 6 weeks.
  • Fleas can and do survive a Canberra winter – if a pet spends time indoors in a warm heated house the fleas can continue to breed all year round.
  • Fleas don’t like light so will spend their time down near the skin under the hair.  Just because you can’t see them doesn’t mean they aren’t there!
  • Fleas are transmitted by animals sharing the same infested environment – if one has them – they will ALL have them.
    • Chronic irritation and discomfort to our pets.
    • In those who develop an allergy to flea saliva – severe itching, hair loss and secondary bacterial skin infections.
    • Because they feed on blood – in large numbers they can cause anaemia in young animals.
    • Fleas are the most common means of transmitting the flea tapeworm from animal to animal.
    • Scratching/chewing around neck, flanks and base of the tail – resulting often in hair loss.
    • Fleas can sometimes be seen running across the belly/thighs and along the back and tail base of dogs and around the chin and temples of cats.
    • Flea dirt (faeces) can often be seen down near the skin around the tail base and along the back line and in bedding.  It looks like fine black dirt that when placed onto moist white paper or a tissue will turn a rust brown colour (dried blood!).
    • Use a good quality flea control product in the form of a monthly top spot liquid or oral tablet and use it correctly and consistently for the recommended length of time.
    • Treat all pets in the household especially outside cats.  Because they wander into environments beyond your control they are more likely to bring fleas back home with them!
    • Kills adult fleas quickly and targets the early stages of eggs and larvae as well.
    • A single treatment should actively kill fleas for a prolonged period of time.
    • Remain active even if your pet gets wet or is washed.
    • Be simple and safe to use.

    Why treat?

    Common symptoms/how to detect them

    How to get rid of them – permanently

    A good flea control program should have the following characteristics:


    Please ask one of our friendly team for advice on what product may best suit your needs.